Year 5DL 2020 - 2021
Welcome to 5DL!
In Year 5 we will be learning about some fantastic topics, including the Victorians, Greeks and Space! If you would like to find more out about what we will be learning this year, have a look at our curriculum overview below.
Please read our class blog to keep updated with all our important news, and to see the exciting things we have been up to!
Things to remember
It’s very important that your child is appropriately dressed for P.E. We are asking that the children come to school wearing their P.E. kit on their P.E. day. They can stay in their P.E. kit for the day, and do not need to bring normal school uniform into school as well.
As much as the weather allows, all P.E. will be OUTDOORS, therefore children should wear black leggings or a black tracksuit, a white t-shirt and either a black jumper or school jumper. They must wear trainers.
Our P.E. day is on a Wednesday.
In Year 5 children should be reading for 20 minutes each night and need to bring their Reading Records back to school, signed by an adult, every morning. Every minute counts!
Homework is set every Friday and due in the following Friday. We use homework to practice what we have been learning in class, it is important that it is completed.
Spelling tests are on Fridays. Please help your child to practice these at home.
Spellings for each week can be downloaded below.
Please remember that if your child brings their own packed lunch into school, it must be in a disposable bag.
How you can help at home?
• Listen to your child read EVERY NIGHT – discuss pictures and story content.
• Encourage your child to read other things as well as their ‘reading book’ – library books, comics, street names, anything - bring in any exciting books you find so Miss Brookes and Mrs Turner can read them to!
• Encourage your child to be an independent writer – writing anything – letters, lists, shopping lists – to put their writing skills in everyday situations.
• Practice spellings from homework, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Practice handwriting, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Play games – snap, dominoes, pairs etc. – all help to develop a variety of mathematical skills.
• Talk about numbers and look for numbers everywhere – shopping, in the street – it all helps to recognise and understand numbers and number patterns
• Practise reading the time on analogue and digital clocks - work out how long until something happens
• Practise times tables (1-12)
• Practise finding 10, 100 or 1000 more or less than a 4 digit number
• Recognising different coins, practise counting handfuls of loose change and shopping activities.
Practice your fluency with some of these games!
Files to Download
Year 5DL: Latest News items
There are no Latest News items to display
Year 5DL: Blog items
There are no blog items to display