Year 4LJ 2022 - 2023
Welcome to 4LJ!
Your Teacher is Mr Jones
Your Teaching Assistant is Mrs English
In Year 4, we will be learning about some fantastic topics, including the Mayans, Water, the Anglosaxons, the Vikings and Clayton! If you would like to find more out about what we will be learning this half term, have a look at the Curriculum Overview below.
Please read our class blog to keep updated with all our important news, and to see the exciting things we have been up to!
Things to remember
Please arrive to school at 8.50am. Our break time is 10:25am-10:40am, where the children will be able to spend some time outside, and enjoy some fruit. Our dinner time is 12:30pm-1:30pm, this year the children will be enjoying their dinner in the hall at 12.30pm, before spending some time on the playground at 1:00pm. The school day ends at 3.30pm.
Our PE day is Monday. Children must come to school wearing their PE kit.
Where possible, all PE will be completed outdoors. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately, and that they are wearing trainers.
Our outdoor PE kit includes: black jogging bottoms or leggings, a white t-shirt, trainers, and a black jumper or school jumper.
Year 4 will go swimming every Wednesday - our first session is on Wednesday 14th September. Please ensure that your child comes to school with their swimwear on underneath their uniform - and that they remember to pack their underwear.
Please see below for a letter about swimming lessons, and all frequently asked questions.
The children will be travelling on a coach to their swimming lesson, and will be leaving school at 9am.
In Year 4, children should be reading for 10 minutes each night and need to bring their Reading Records back to school, signed by an adult, every morning. Every minute counts!
Homework is set every Friday and due in the following Friday. We use homework to practise what we have been learning in class, it is important that it is completed.
This year, you will be able to access all homework from the school wesbite - as soon as this is ready, we will notify you on how to access this.
Spelling tests are on Fridays. Please help your child to practise these at home.
Times tables are very important in year 4. Please encourage your child to practise their times tables each night - using websites such as https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button and https://ttrockstars.com/ are highly recommended. In school we introduce a new times table every 3 weeks and have a times tables test every Friday. Week 1 - Bronze award (recalling in order) Week 2 - Silver Award (mixed order) Week 3 - Gold award (division facts).
How can you help at home?
• Listen to your child read EVERY NIGHT – discuss pictures and story content.
• Encourage your child to read other things as well as their ‘reading book’ – library books, comics, street names, anything!
• Encourage your child to be an independent writer – writing anything – letters, lists, shopping lists – to put their writing skills in everyday situations.
• Practise spellings from homework, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Practise handwriting, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Play games – snap, dominoes, pairs etc. – all help to develop a variety of mathematical skills.
• Talk about numbers and look for numbers everywhere – shopping, in the street – it all helps to recognise and understand numbers and number patterns
• Practise reading the time on analogue and digital clocks - work out how long until something happens
• Practise times tables (1-12)
• Practise finding 10, 100 or 1000 more or less than a 4 digit number
• Recognising different coins, practise counting handfuls of loose change and shopping activities.
Files to Download
Year 4LJ: Latest News items
There are no Latest News items to display