Year 4CB 2021 - 2022
Welcome to 4CB!
Your Teacher is Miss Brookes
Your Teaching Assistant is Miss Gee
In Year 4 we will be learning about some fantastic topics, including the Maya, North America, Water, the Anglo-Saxons, Castleton and the Vikings! If you would like to find more out about what we will be learning this half term, have a look at the Curriculum Overview below.
Please read our class blog to keep updated with all our important news, and to see the exciting things we have been up to!
Things to remember
Please arrive to school at 8:45am. Our break time is 10:25am-10:40am, where the children will be able to spend some time outside, and enjoy some fruit. Our dinner time is 12:30pm-1:30pm, this year the children will be enjoying their dinner in the school hall at 12.30pm, before spending some time on the playground at 1:00pm. The school day ends at 3.30pm.
Our PE day is Tuesday. Children must come to school wearing their PE kit.
Where possible, all PE will be completed outdoors. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately, and that they are wearing trainers.
Our outdoor PE kit includes: black jogging bottoms or leggings, a white t-shirt, trainers, and a black jumper or school jumper.
Year 4 will attend swimming lessons every Thursday - with our first session on Thursday 16th September. Please ensure that your child comes to school with their swimwear on underneath their uniform - and that they remember to pack their underwear.
Please see below for a letter about swimming lessons, and all frequently asked questions.
In Year 4, children should be reading for 10 minutes each night and need to bring their Reading Records back to school, signed by an adult, every morning. Every minute counts!
Homework is set every Friday and is due in the following Friday. We use homework to practice what we have been learning in class, it is important that it is completed.
This year, you will be able to access all homework from the school wesbite.
Spelling tests are on Fridays. Please help your child to practice these at home.
Spellings for each week can be downloaded below.
Times tables are very important in year 4. Please encourage your child to practise their times tables each night - using websites such as https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button and https://ttrockstars.com/ are highly recommended. In school we introduce a new times table every 3 weeks and have a times tables test every friday. Week 1 - Bronze award (recalling in order) Week 2 - Silver Award (mixed order) Week 3 - Gold award (division facts).
How you can help at home?
• Listen to your child read EVERY NIGHT – discuss pictures and story content.
• Encourage your child to read other things as well as their ‘reading book’ – library books, comics, street names, anything - bring in any exciting books you find so Miss Brookes, Miss Gee and Mrs Barry can read them too!
• Encourage your child to be an independent writer – writing anything – letters, lists, shopping lists – to put their writing skills in everyday situations.
• Practice spellings from homework, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Practice handwriting, focussing on joining letters clearly.
• Play games – snap, dominoes, pairs etc. – all help to develop a variety of mathematical skills.
• Talk about numbers and look for numbers everywhere – shopping, in the street – it all helps to recognise and understand numbers and number patterns
• Practise reading the time on analogue and digital clocks - work out how long until something happens
• Practise times tables (1-12)
• Practise finding 10, 100 or 1000 more or less than a 4 digit number
• Recognising different coins, practise counting handfuls of loose change and shopping activities.