Year 3RH 2019 - 2020
Hello. Welcome to 3RH!
Miss Humphreys and Miss O'Neil.
Your child has now been given a reading book and a Reading Record Book. Your child will have a new reading book each week and it is important that they read their book EVERY night. We will be stamping their bookmarks each day that they have read and we will be giving out awards throughout the year. Your child will then be able to practise their phonics skills and different reading strategies such as use of picture cues, phonic cues, and grammatical sense.
When they have read their book there is a space in the Reading Record Book for you to say how they found the book, which bits they did well with and anything they struggled on. When this has been signed the chidlren will change their book for a new one. They can change as and when is required.
Your child has been provided with a Ravensbury book bag. Please ensure that your child bring their book bag in to school every day.
Homewok is given out on Friday and returned by the following Friday.
We will be giving a maths skills activity out each week for them to practise which will be based on learning they have done in class. They will also be asked to learn their times tables. In Year 3, this will be the 3, 4 and 8 x tables.
Spellings will also be given as part of their homework and tested each week. This is also a good opportunity to practise their handwriting at the same time.
Library for 3RH is on a Monday. Your child will bring home a library book each week. The book they choose is completely their own choice. When they have read their book they can return it to school and we will change it for a new book the following week.
PE in 3RH takes place on Tuesday and Friday. Your child requires a PE kit to change into – this should include a T-shirt, pair of shorts & some pumps/trainers for outdoor games. This can be left in school for the half term.
Children are expected to show respect to each other, to all adults and the school environment. Inside the building and in the playground we have a clear behaviour system that all the children follow. They are taught ‘5 Golden Rules’ which encourage good behaviour. There are a lot of rewards in place in the school and 3RH including raffle tickets, house points and the prize box. The rules and behaviour systems are clearly displayed in all classrooms and around central parts of the school.
How you can help?
Literacy – how can you help your child?
• Listen to your child read EVERY NIGHT – discuss pictures and story content.
• Help them to be independent readers.
• Encourage your child to read anything as well as their ‘reading book’ – library books, comics, street names anything.
• Encourage your child to be an independent writer – writing anything – letters, lists, shopping lists – to put their writing skills in everyday situations.
• Help your child to form their letters correctly and present work neatly.
• Help your child to spell and read simple key words and use them in reading and writing.
• Make reading fun, a time that you both look forward to spending together.
Numeracy – how can you help your child?
• Play games – snakes and ladders, dominoes – all help to develop a variety of mathematical skills.
• Talk about numbers and look for numbers everywhere – shopping, in the street – it all helps to recognise and understand numbers and number patterns
• Help your child to form their numbers properly.
• Practise counting
• Practise counting forwards and backwards – to 10, 20, 100.
• Add 2 numbers together or taking 1 number from another – make into a story or a game.
• Understand symbols for addition, subtraction and equals ( +, -, = )
• Understand estimating how many in a group of objects.
• Recognising different coins. Practise counting handfuls of loose change. shopping activities.
Year 3RH: Latest News items
There are no Latest News items to display