Welcome to 2SD. We are hardworking and love to practice our skills to make progress. This year we are working hard to be better readers, writers and mathematicians. Please keep checking back in on our blog to see what we have been up to and see some of our amazing learning.
Your child has now been given a Reading Book and a Reading Record Book. Your child will have 2 reading books a week and questions to answer about what they have read. It is important that they read their book EVERY night and we will be giving out awards throughout the year. Your child will then be able to practice their phonics skills and different reading strategies such as use of picture cues, phonic cues, and grammatical sense.
When they have read their book there is a space in the Reading Record Book for you to say how they found the book, which bits they did well with and anything they struggled on.
Your child will need a school book bag . If you have not bought one already please can you do so. They can be purchased from the office for £3.
We will be continuing our hard work on Lexia, IXL and Active Learn. There will be opportunities for children without internet to practice those skills in school.
Spellings will also be given and tested each week. This is also a good opportunity to practice their handwriting at the same time.
Your child will also bring home a library book each week. The book they choose is completely their own choice. When they have read their book they can return it to school and we will change it for a new book the following week.
Your child requires a PE kit to change into – this should include a T-shirt, pair of shorts & some pumps/trainers for outdoor games. This can be left in school for the half term. PE for 2SD is on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Children are expected to show respect to each other, to all adults and the school environment. (Inside the building and in the playground) We have a clear behaviour system that all the children follow and they are taught ‘5 Golden Rules’ which encourage good behaviour. (There are a lot of rewards in place) The rules and behaviour systems are clearly displayed in all classrooms and around central parts of the school.
How you can help?
Literacy – how can you help your child?
• Listen to your child read EVERY NIGHT – discuss pictures and story content.
• Help them to be independent readers.
• Encourage your child to read anything as well as their ‘reading book’ – library books, comics, street names anything.
• Encourage your child to be an independent writer – writing anything – letters, lists, shopping lists – to put their writing skills in everyday situations.
• Help your child to form their letters correctly and present work neatly.
• Help your child to spell and read simple key words and use them in reading and writing.
• Make reading fun, a time that you both look forward to spending together.
Maths – how can you help your child?
• Play games – snakes and ladders, dominoes – all help to develop a variety of mathematical skills.
• Talk about numbers and look for numbers everywhere – shopping, in the street – it all helps to recognise and understand numbers and number patterns
• Help your child to form their numbers properly.
• Practice counting – it’s surprising what you can count.
• Practice counting forwards and backwards – to 10, 20, 100.
• Add 2 numbers together or taking 1 number from another – make into a story or a game.
• Understand symbols for addition, subtraction and equals ( +, -, = )
• Understand estimating how many in a group of objects.
• Recognising different coins.- Practise counting handfuls of loose change. shopping activities.
Our teacher is called Miss Dooley. She is beautiful and the cleverest teacher in the whole wide world (Olivia) She is kind and pretty (Alexander). She is amazing (Nathan). She lets us practice on Lexia (Logan). We love going on trips with our grown ups in school – like Pizza Express (Jeremi). We like learning maths and Literacy (Ruby). Miss Dooley lets us watch films for a treat in Golden time, which we really enjoy (Luke). Miss Dooley makes our learning fun.
We like our reading and spelling homework.
Miss Dooley is kind and I like our school.
We like to celebrate our friends birthdays.
In golden time i like when we have treats.