As from September 2018 the cost of school meals will be £2.25 per day, £11.25 per week. All dinner money has to be paid weekly unless an arrangement with the school has been made. School meals can be paid at the school office by cash or debit card or online via the school website.
Which children qualify for them?
Your child may qualify if you have any of these incomes:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- the guaranteed part of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as your annual gross income is £16,190 or less and you don’t get Working Tax Credit)
- Working Tax Credit run-off after you come off Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit that you applied for on, or after, 1 April 2018. As long as your household income is less than £7,400 a year after tax, not including any benefits
Children who receive these benefits themselves instead of through a parent or guardian, can also qualify for free school meals.
Your child may qualify if you are an asylum seeker.
Children who are younger than the compulsory age for starting school but in full-time education, can also get free school meals.
How long can they get free school meals for?
Children who are eligible for free school meals now will be eligible for them until either:
- they finish school; or
- if on 31 March 2022 they are still in school, until they finish the phase of schooling they are in (primary or secondary) –
whichever is sooner.
Infant free school meals in England
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 can get free school meals whatever your income. But if you have one of the qualifying incomes (above) it will help the school if you tell them this, so they can get extra funding.
Universal Free School Meals were introduced in September 2014, pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 classes are now entitled to a free school lunch. If your child currently has a packed lunch, please consider taking up this offer. Anyone who is entitled to free school meals MUST still apply for them as the Government is only paying for meals where there isn’t an entitlement to free school meals.
To change you child’s school meal pattern from school meal to packed lunch or from packed lunch to school meal please call into the school office to complete a change of meals letter.